|Object Name||manuscript collection|
|Scope & Content||
correspondence; account books; receipt; lease; permit; invoice; photographs; newspaper clippings
REMARKS:1 Hollinger box of letters and papers, and 1 small box of photographs. From notes prepared by Kathleen Stavec, Research Librarian:; "The collection consists of material relating to the Mathews family of Roseburg, Oregon. B.F. "Frank" Mathews (1842-1906), a blacksmith, was the son of Joshua and nancy Mathews, who had a Donation Land Claim east of Dixonville. He and his wife Mary E. "Lizzie" Mathews (1844-1929) had sons Rufus B. "Bany" and Philip M. "Flip" Mathews. The correspondence in the collection consists chiefly of letters to Mary E. Mathews. Two major groups of these are letters from Bany ahd his wife, Grace, as he traveled to different places in Oregon and California to run gambling games, 1886-1897; and from Bany's son Delos "Dee" Mathews during his military service in 1918. Philip Mathews, Frank's brother Leander Mathews, Mary's niece Lillian Glendenning, and several non-family correspondents are also represented...."; One interesting item is a building permit, issued 17 February 1923 to "Aug." Schloemann", to construct a building at 218 South Rose Street. This is the earliest building permit located so to date  in the Research Library's archival collections. The permit is in a folder labeled "Mathews Collection", filed with leases for this property executed ca. 1910 between Mary Mathews and Banks & Welker, a blacksmith shop originally organized as Banks & Kelly.; ; In December 1996, items in the collection appear to have been mis-filed in different folders, or in no folders at all. This is possibly the result of periodic use of the collection.
|Title||Mathews Collection [Mathews Papers]|
|Collection||ARCHIVES AND MANUSCRIPTS|